CBD Pet Calming Products for Dogs: How To Help Your Pet Relax
Those of us who are lucky enough to be dog parents know that our pet’s energy levels are a distinctive part of their personality. From the lazy Saint Bernard to the bouncy Chihuahua to the workaholic Border Collie, a dog’s energy level is often common to its breed, and it’s always an important part of what you love about your pet. Furthermore, a pupper’s liveliness is significant to their health because energy is what fuels everyday activities.
But there is a difference between fun energy – the kind that powers long days of play, fetch games, and runs at the park – and stressful energy. Sometimes – probably more often than we’d like – a dog can undergo a high-intensity state of fear or discomfort. Some dogs might do this more than others, and it can cause problems with their sleep, health, and happiness.
Many pet owners have discovered the various wellness benefits of CBD calming oil for dogs. But before introducing anything new to your canine companion, it’s important to know exactly what these products are, what they can do for your pet, and how to use them.
Why Some Dogs Might Need Help Relaxing
Ever had a moment with your dog where you’ve found yourself thinking, “Poor thing, I wish he’d just chill out”? When a dog starts to display stress signals, it’s not only unpleasant for them – it can be unpleasant for you as a pet owner, too, and also for others around you. Here are some examples of moments when your dog might need help relaxing:
- You come home from work to find the armchair covered in tears and tooth marks, and Fido is cowering, guilty, in the corner. You’re bummed about the chair, but mostly sad your dog felt unsafe and scared while you were out of the house.
- You take your dog on a walk, and he or she barks, growls, and even snaps at other people or dogs who pass you on the sidewalk. It’s clear from these behaviors that your pet feels insecure and uncomfortable – and a walk should be a fun, happy time for you and Sparky!
- It’s the Fourth of July. What’s supposed to be a pleasant summer holiday, enjoyed by pets and humans alike, turns into a miserable evening for your dog when the fireworks display begins. Your petrified pooch starts shaking, trembling, and whining, and no amount of snuggles can calm her down. Or maybe this experience isn’t relegated to one day a year – maybe thunderstorms or your neighbor’s house parties send your pet into a frenzy every week. Many dogs are sensitive to loud sounds – it’s called noise aversion, and it is very uncomfortable for pets and parents alike.
It’s important to remember that some behaviors labeled as “bad” – such as chewing shoes or furniture, barking, growling, or snapping – are just your pet’s way of trying to communicate. When your dog is experiencing a stressful situation, they have to find ways to communicate with you. They can’t use words, so they display other behaviors to tell you something's wrong and try to change the situation. When this happens, it’s important to listen to your pet and make adjustments to their lifestyle to encourage them to be happier and more content.
What Are CBD Pet Calming Products?
If you’re considering a CBD calming product for your pet, you’ll want to know exactly what these products are, how they are made, and how they will affect your pet.
CBD stands for cannabidiol, which is one of the many cannabinoids found in the hemp plant. The industrial hemp plant was recently addressed in the 2018 Farm Bill. Before this bill, the hemp plant was lumped in with all the other cannabis plants, including marijuana cannabis.
Marijuana cannabis has a high THC concentration, or tetrahydrocannabinol, which causes psychoactive effects. But the industrial hemp plant can only have a THC concentration of 0.3 percent or less, so CBD products derived from hemp will not get your pet high.
How Does CBD Affect My Dog?
CBD is processed by a dog’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), a system also found in humans and other mammals and some other vertebrates. The ECS features two main receptors called CB1 and CB2. These receptors impact various bodily processes, including motor function, appetite, gut, bones, and nervous system.
The ECS was discovered relatively recently, in the 90s, so there is limited research on it. Most ECS studies have been done in humans, but because we share the system with dogs, we likely experience some of the same wellness benefits of CBD.
How CBD Pet Calming Products Are Made
Often, other calm-supporting ingredients will be added to CBD oil to increase your pet’s relaxation. CBD pet calming products might also include:
- Valerian root: An herb often used to maintain healthy sleep patterns, valerian root is one of the soothing ingredients in our CBD Calming Oil for Dogs.
- Melatonin: Another ingredient in our calming oil, melatonin is a hormone that naturally occurs in both the human and dog body. It is produced in response to darkness to help us get sleepy.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is a flower known for its relaxing qualities. Many people swear by a cup of chamomile tea before bed! Chamomile flower powder is found in our CBD Calming Chews for Dogs.
Choosing the Best Calming Product for Your Dog
To choose the best calming product for your dog, you need to start by ensuring the CBD oil in your product is high-quality and safe for your pet. A responsibly made CBD pet product will be pet-specific, THC-free, produced from domestic hemp, tested by a third-party lab, and available in different strengths.
Then you can choose the delivery method – calming oil for easy application or calming chews for a special treat!
What to Look for in a Good CBD Pet Product
- Pet-specific: Only give your dog CBD pet calming products that are intended for dogs, not for humans. Bonus points if a veterinarian has helped to formulate the product. They certainly know what’s best for doggos!
- Different strengths: The amount of CBD pet calming products you give to your dog will depend on your pet’s weight, meaning that the owner of a Teacup Poodle and a Great Dane owner will need different strengths of CBD calming oil for their pet. A trustworthy company will offer varying strengths in its pet products.
- Superior Broad Spectrum: The hemp extract is the core of what makes a good CBD pet product. CBD products can be made from isolate, full spectrum, broad spectrum, or Superior Broad Spectrum, a special formula designed by cbdMD (parent of Paw CBD). Superior Broad Spectrum includes pure CBD isolate along with other terpenes and cannabinoids from the hemp plant, so your pet gets a full range of hemp’s powerful goodness!
- Third-party lab tested: The best way to ensure your product is being honest about its ingredient list is with third-party testing. An independent laboratory will provide a Certificate of Analysis that verifies the product’s make-up.
- THC-free: You don’t want your pet to experience any impact from THC, so ensure that any CBD pet calming product is THC-free. This label means the THC is undetectable at the lowest levels that can be found using valid scientific tools.
- Free of additives and artificial flavors: Mystery ingredients like fillers are no good. And artificial flavorings are unnecessary when you have delicious flavors like blueberry (in our CBD Calming Oil for Dogs) and turkey (in our CBD Calming Chews for Dogs)!
- Derived from U.S. hemp: You definitely want your CBD product to be hemp-derived, and you can take your security a step further by purchasing a domestically grown hemp product. Hemp grown in the U.S. has been closely monitored throughout the growing process.
Calming CBD Oil for Dogs
One of the easiest ways to give CBD to your dog is with a simple oil tincture. A tincture allows you to have specific control over serving size and how you provide CBD to your pet. You can drop it in their food bowl, blend it in a homemade treat, or even just put it straight into their mouth. They’ll love the blueberry flavor, and our tincture droppers are plastic, so you don’t have to worry about an accidental chomp.
CBD oil tinctures are also a great choice if you have a couple of dogs of different sizes, but both could use some extra chill in their day. Our CBD Calming Oil for Dogs comes in a 250 mg strength for smaller dogs and a 500 mg option for bigger dogs who need a little more strength.
CBD Calming Chews for Dogs
Spot might argue that the best thing about our CBD Calming Chews for Dogs is the flavor – turkey is hard to beat! But we think the best part is the consistency and portability of these chewable little morsels. You know exactly how much CBD your dog is getting with each snack – no measuring or guesstimating necessary. They’re super easy to take along on a trip, too, and never messy.
How to Give Your Dog CBD Calming Products
How you give calming products to your pet is almost as important as the type of product you choose to give them. To ensure your pet can experience all of the benefits of CBD as a part of their wellness regimen, follow these steps.
- Consult your veterinarian: You should always talk to your veterinarian before trying a new product on your dog. They will be able to give you plenty of advice on any of your pet’s specific behaviors that you might be trying to address with CBD.
- Start small: Start with the smallest recommended serving size for your pet’s weight. No matter how excited you might be about CBD, it’s important that you be patient and move slowly with this new resource.
- Monitor your pet closely: Some of the benefits of CBD pet calming products might be subtle, so you must watch your dog closely after introducing it. Pay close attention during situations where you might have seen stress behavior before: storms, visitors to the house, the dog park. Is your pet seeming more calm and relaxed? No matter what, stick with the small serving size for a minimum of 30 days before making adjustments, as CBD builds up in the system over time.
- Adapt: If you aren’t seeing the benefits of CBD after 30 days at the smallest recommended serving size, you can increase the amount of CBD incrementally and watch for another 30 days. You might also want to try a different type of product.
- Consider new products: You might not know if the CBD tincture or the chews work better for your purposes until you try them. That’s why we offer CBD Bundles for Dogs so that pet owners can find the best product for their lifestyle and needs.
A Relaxed Dog Is a Happy Dog
When your dog is calm and happy, you are, too. Relaxation shouldn’t be a “sometimes” feeling – it should be all the time. Whether you choose CBD calming oil for dogs or CBD calming chews for dogs, you can make every day a great day with CBD pet calming products.