How to Give CBD Oil to Dogs: 5 Easy Ways
Once you’ve discovered that CBD is beneficial for your dog’s daily health regimen, it’s time to look at the practical application of how to give CBD oil to dogs. CBD for dogs comes in a variety of forms, all specifically designed for your dog’s body, so you have no shortage of choices.
Finding the best method for you and your furry family member will depend on your daily routine and your pet’s needs. But, to make an educated decision, it’s important to know the details of each CBD oil product, what type of support it offers to your pet, and how to use it.
Curious about how to give CBD oil to dogs? Here are five easy techniques for you to try at home.
1. Give Your Dog CBD Oil Straight From the Dropper
CBD oil tinctures for dogs are a favorite of many pet parents because they are so easy to use. With a plastic dropper for safety and delicious peanut butter or natural flavor, you can simply squirt the appropriate amount of tincture directly into your dog’s mouth. They’ll love it!
This quick and straightforward method is no-fuss, and you can give the product to multiple pets with ease.
2. Mix CBD Oil with Your Dog’s Food or Treats
Despite the delicious flavor of the peanut butter CBD tincture, some dogs are not crazy about being fed from a dropper. Perhaps they have bad memories of yucky-tasting medicine. But never fear – CBD oil for dogs can be administered through your pet’s food and treats, as well.
Drop the proper amount directly into your dog’s hard kibble or soft food and mix it all together. Our CBD oil tinctures even come in a natural flavor if you think peanut butter might interfere with the flavor profile of your pet’s food. Similarly, you can drop a little bit of oil onto a hard treat, let it soak in, and then give to your pet – and add in a few pats and kisses for good measure!
As long as you provide your pet the same total amount of CBD daily, you can be flexible about when and how you give it to them. Perhaps you give them a few drops in their food in the morning, a few drops with a treat mid-day, and a few drops with dinner. Just be careful that the total serving size throughout the day is appropriate for your pet’s weight and needs.
3. Treat Your Pupper to a CBD Treat or Soft Chew
Even when it comes to a special treat, you want everything you feed your dog to be useful, wholesome, and healthy. If you’re a super busy person, taking the time to measure out specific amounts of oil into your pet’s mouth or food might sound like too much work. In that case, CBD treats might be perfect for you (and your dog!).
CBD treats for dogs are baked to perfection for crunchy delight, available in mouthwatering peanut butter and baked cheese flavors. The resealable bag means you can toss them anywhere – your beach bag, hiking backpack, or the trunk of the car – for the wellness support of CBD, no matter where you and Fido end up. You can also rest easy about serving size because the treats have an exact amount of CBD baked into each one.
Our peanut butter CBD treats are so good; they won Product of the Year in the CBD Pet category for 2021! Even better, this award was voted on by people just like you. “Product of the Year” awards are determined by a survey of 40,000 consumers by Kantar, an independent research firm.
CBD chews for dogs offer a different experience with their soft and chewy texture, well suited to older dogs or small dogs who tend to have tender gums and teeth that can make crunchy treats a challenge. They also come in a different flavor – chicken and bacon. While it might be hard for any dog to decide between crunchy peanut butter treats and chicken and bacon soft chews, you just might find that your furry friend has a preference!
Like all high-quality CBD products, both our hard and soft treats are available in various strengths for dogs of different sizes:
- 150 mg for itty-bitty Chihuahuas and Teacup Poodles
- 300 mg for the mid-sized Australian Shepherds and Border Collies
- 600 mg for our gentle-but-giant Alaskan Malamutes and Mastiffs
4. Upgrade Snack Time with CBD Peanut Butter
Most dog parents love the satisfying “smack smack smack” of their beloved pooch enjoying a little peanut butter snack. And all the better if that peanut butter infuses with the wellness-supporting properties of CBD! Simple, wholesome ingredients, along with a canine enthusiasm for anything peanut buttery, make this product a popular choice for dog parents. Just scoop out a carefully measured spoonful at any time of the day for a treat that’s good and good for them.
Plus, when you’re feeling like a chef, you can use this peanut butter to make a delightful homemade CBD dog treat – read on!
5. Add CBD Oil For Dogs to a Homemade Pet Treat
If you’re feeling like Betty Crocker, you can bake the oil right into your very own homemade CBD treats for dogs! This process doesn’t have to be complicated, and you can find many different recipes online. Most of them feature healthy, natural ingredients like sweet potato, pumpkin, blueberry, oats, and coconut.
Check out this super simple recipe: Combine a quarter cup of our CBD-infused peanut butter with a cup of oats and a third cup of pumpkin puree. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool before serving. It’s that easy!
The important thing to remember when baking your own CBD dog treats is how much oil to use, so you know the exact strength of the individual treats. Start by deciding how strong you want each treat to be – let’s say 10 mg of CBD per treat. Then, think about how many treats you want the recipe to make. If you want to make 10 dog treats with 10 mg of CBD each, you’ll need to add a total of 100 mg of CBD to the batter or dough.
What to Consider When Deciding How to Give CBD Oil to Dogs
With all these wonderful ways to administer CBD for dogs, how can you possibly know where to start? Here are some questions that will help you identify the best method for you and your canine companion:
- Are our days full of routine or adventure? If you have a consistent schedule and your dog tends to spend his days at your home or in your yard, you have plenty of flexibility with what kind of CBD oil product you’d like to use. You can keep a jar of CBD peanut butter or a tincture bottle in your cabinet and use it at your leisure – no worries about messy peanut butter fingers or a little oil spilled on the floor. But, if you have a more unpredictable lifestyle that has you in the car often, then you might want to consider a more portable CBD oil for dogs like treats in a resealable container that you can toss in the glove box.
- Do I have two or more dogs of different sizes? If you have multiple pets who have different serving size needs, you’ll likely want a CBD product with some flexibility in serving size. If you go with a CBD tincture, you can add the appropriate amount to each dog’s dinner bowl very easily.
- What are my lifestyle goals for my dog? If you’re looking to support your pupper in specific wellness goals, you’ll want to consider products with added ingredients. Ever feel like Sparky needs a little help staying chill during your daily routine? Our CBD calming chews for dogs and CBD calming oil for dogs both offer herbal support for relaxation. Or, alternatively, perhaps you and your dog spend a lot of time playing and exercising outdoors. Our CBD hip+joint chews for dogs, which feature glucosamine HCL and chondroitin sulfate, can help support mobility to help your furry friend stay active.
- Does my dog have sensitive teeth? If so, CBD soft chews or tinctures are a great fit for your furry friend. They might struggle with munching on the crunchy treats, and treat time is definitely not supposed to be a struggle!
The Importance of Serving Size
When you decide how to give CBD oil to dogs, it’s important to start with the appropriate serving size for your dog’s weight, no matter what method you use. Also, CBD can build up in a dog's system over time, so you need to be patient when introducing it to your pet. Stay with the same process for 30 days before changing your dog’s CBD routine.
While the day’s total serving size needs to be consistent, don’t be afraid to experiment with multiple delivery methods, from CBD treats for dogs to CBD peanut butter. The perfect wellness regimen might take some time to find, but the process of discovery can be fun for both you and your pooch!