The Best CBD Oil for Pets: How Do You Find The Perfect Product?
CBD oil is becoming a common part of conversations among pet owners. Dog and cat parents have reported that it has made their animals more comfortable and provided various wellness benefits. Whether you’ve experienced this firsthand or you’re new to the CBD conversation, you only want the best for your furry friend. So pet owners everywhere are asking: What is the best CBD oil for pets?
There are many ways to identify the best CBD oil for dogs and the best CBD oil for cats. Once you understand exactly what CBD oil is and how it works within your pet, you’ll know how to find the very best product for your beloved animal.
What Is CBD for Pets?
To become an educated, responsible consumer of the best CBD for pets, you first need to understand exactly what it is, how it’s made, and the different types of CBD you might encounter.
CBD is short for cannabidiol, which is a compound found in the cannabis plant. The cannabis plant has many other kinds of cannabinoids besides CBD – in fact, more than 80 of them. Another compound found in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, which causes the psychoactive experience of being “high.” It’s important to be clear that CBD and THC are very different compounds with different effects on people and animals.
Marijuana cannabis is high in THC concentration. It also contains CBD. Industrial hemp is another type of cannabis plant different from marijuana because of its low concentration of THC. Industrial hemp plants make it easy to access the benefits of CBD without the psychoactive effects of THC. All of the wellness, none of the other stuff!
The 2018 Farm Bill broadened the cultivation and sale of the industrial hemp plant, which by definition must contain less than 0.3 percent THC – not nearly enough to cause the user (human or animal) to feel high. When derived from hemp, CBD for pets is legal, and you can rest assured Fido and Fluffy won’t feel stoned.
How It’s Made
The best CBD oil for pets comes from the hemp plant. But how do we get from a leafy plant to an oil?
Most CBD oils are made through one of two extraction processes: ethanol extraction or CO2 extraction. Ethanol extraction uses high-grade grain alcohol (also known as ethanol) as a solvent to separate CBD and other compounds from the industrial hemp plant. CO2 extraction uses very, very cold and highly pressurized CO2 to strip the hemp plant of CBD and other cannabinoids.
There is a lot of discussion about which of these two extraction processes is better, and many say ethanol extraction creates the best CBD oil for dogs and the best CBD oil for cats. It is safe and stable and can be done in warm and cold environments, and it’s also a very quick and efficient process. Alternatively, CO2 extraction can be somewhat volatile and has a greater room for error, which is why it’s often used exclusively by “luxury” or “boutique” CBD brands.
Different Types of CBD for Pets
When you start researching the best CBD oil for pets, you’re going to run into a variety of terms that might confuse you. Here’s a little glossary of different types of hemp extract you might encounter when looking at CBD products.
- CBD isolate: This form is exclusively pure CBD molecules. Sounds ideal, right? CBD and nothing else. But some studies have shown that the benefits of CBD for pets are better received when other helpful terpenes and cannabinoids are included in the delivery.
- Full Spectrum: A full spectrum hemp extract, unlike an isolate, gives your pet the entire lineup of terpenes and cannabinoids found in the plant from which the CBD was derived. It also means you might get trace amounts of THC, but the amount should still be below a concentration of 0.3 percent if the hemp extracts are derived from the industrial hemp plant.
- Broad Spectrum: This form is essentially a full spectrum hemp extract with the THC molecules removed. Broad spectrum products can also sometimes be inconsistent in their make-up.
- Superior Broad Spectrum: Specially formulated by cbdMD (creator of Paw CBD), Superior Broad Spectrum is made by starting with an isolate and then adding the most helpful terpenes and cannabinoids back into the mix for a pure and consistent product every time.
How to Find the Best CBD Oil for Pets
Here are some things you should look for in a high-quality CBD product like Paw CBD:
- THC-free: To ensure your pet doesn’t experience any psychoactive effects from CBD, all products you use should be labeled “THC-free.” This label means the THC is undetectable at the lowest levels that can be found using valid scientific tools.
- Veterinarian formulated: The best CBD oil for pets will have an expert veterinarian involved in its design.
- Independent lab testing: Great products will have results from a third-party laboratory attesting to their make-up. The results for each batch should be available on the site for you to peruse.
- Clean: The best CBD for pets will not have any fillers or artificial ingredients.
- Domestic: The U.S. has super stringent rules about how to grow and cultivate the industrial hemp plant. When you purchase CBD products made from domestically grown hemp, you can rest assured the farming practices were sound, and the plant has been closely monitored from the very beginning.
- Specific: The best CBD oil for dogs will be specifically made for dogs and offer different strengths and serving sizes for pets of different sizes. The best CBD oil for cats will be – you guessed it – made specifically for cats and also offer various strengths and serving sizes.
How CBD for Pets Benefits Your Cat or Dog
While there are limited formal studies available, anecdotal reports from pet owners suggest that CBD can benefit many different processes and experiences in a dog or cat’s life.
When your dog or cat consumes CBD, it processes through the endocannabinoid system or ECS. This system is shared by all mammals – including humans – and other vertebrates like lizards, birds, fish, and frogs, to name a few. This remarkable system, which was discovered in the 90s, impacts various bodily processes, including but not limited to sleep, appetite, digestion, and skin health.
Benefits for Dogs
- Separation stress: Does your pupper whine or chew furniture when you leave the house? This behavior is your dog’s way of saying he or she is not comfortable with being away from you. While it’s a sweet sentiment, separation issues can be a bummer for both you and your pet – and that new couch you just bought! CBD can encourage calm feelings in your pet, which can make your departure more manageable for them.
- Aggression: Sometimes interacting with other dogs or people can be an unpleasant experience that causes your dog to act out. But the dog park can be a happy place if your pet can relax enough to enjoy it, and CBD can promote a sense of calm in your dog.
- Noise: Thunderstorms, fireworks, loud parties – whatever it is, a noisy environment can make many dogs fearful and skittish. No one wants to see their pup feel this kind of emotional turmoil, but loudness is a part of life, so some owners use CBD daily to help their pet feel more comfortable during situations like this.
Benefits for Cats
Here are some scenarios in which pet parents have discovered the benefits of CBD for cats:
- Daily stressors: Cats are creatures of routine. They like to know their surroundings well, and they have expectations about how their day will progress. The habitual nature of cats means that changes like a trip in their carrier or a new pet in the house can be really upsetting. CBD has been known to promote calm and relaxation, and a chilled-out cat will have an easier time with change.
- Skin health: Cats are sensitive creatures, both inside and out, and sometimes their skin needs a little extra love.
- General comfort: Senior cats or cats recovering from injury or a procedure might experience muscle stiffness or slow movement. Activity is an important part of an animal’s healthy lifestyle, and CBD can be a great addition to any consistent wellness routine to maintain those cat-like reflexes!
Choosing the Right Delivery Method
When introducing new components into your pet’s daily regimen, the how is just as important as the what. Once you’ve found a reliable CBD pet formula, you’ll need to choose how you want to give it to your pet. Being healthy doesn’t have to be work – in fact, it can be a lot of fun for you and your beloved animal! Your choices for delivering CBD include tinctures, balm, peanut butter, soft chews, treats, or a combination of those methods.
A CBD pet tincture can be a great choice for all pets because it’s easy to use and gives you specific control over the serving size. Our CBD Calming Oil for Dogs features the extra support of valerian root, chamomile, and melatonin to really support your pupper in mellowing out.
The best CBD oil for pets can be useful as a topical balm applied to skin, noses, paws, and sensitive spots.
One of the best products for dogs is CBD-infused peanut butter. Cats will enjoy it, too!
For any animal with sensitive teeth, a soft and chewable treat infused with CBD will do the trick! For our feline friends, the CBD Kidney Support Chews for Cats features the kidney wellness support of licorice root, astragalus root, and nettle leaf. Senior doggos will love the comfort they get from CBD Hip+Joint Chews for Dogs, which features the added benefit of glucosamine HCL.
Most pet owners have a bag or two (or more!) of pet treats in their pantry. With CBD Treats for Dogs, a daily delicacy can be tasty and fun and also support your canine companion’s wellness.
Try a Few
CBD product bundles offer up a few different products specific to cats or dogs so that you can try out more than one option. Don’t worry if your pet isn’t crazy about the first thing you try. It’s important to be patient and remember that every animal is different. It might take some time to find out what works best for your picky pooch or finicky feline!
How to Give Your Animal the Best CBD Oil for Pets
Once you’ve chosen a pet CBD oil product that you feel suits your purposes, you should consult your veterinarian. Your vet should always be in the loop about changes to your animal’s daily wellness routine – and that includes the introduction of CBD.
Veterinarians can also consult you on how to find the best CBD oil for pets and how to introduce the new product to your canine or feline companion. Here is a general outline:
- Read everything: Your product should come with a detailed ingredient list and instructions. It should also include how much CBD to give to your pet.
- Stick with it: Start with the recommended serving and stick with it. Thirty days should be long enough to see the desired benefits.
- Monitor your pet closely: Some of the benefits of CBD for pets can be subtle, so pay attention. Is Shadow racing after the laser point with a little more speed? Is Sparky barking less when the mailman comes to the door?
- Adapt: If you haven’t noticed any change after a month, you can increase the daily amount of CBD you give to your pet and launch another 30-day period.
Whatever you do, give yourself a pat on the back now for being a responsible pet parent and doing your research. Your furry family member is lucky to have you looking out for them – and will be even luckier when they start to feel the benefits of the best CBD oil for pets!